Friday, February 5, 2010

CSAF, A New Bomber and Football

Two weeks ago the Chief of Staff of the Air Force, Gen Norton A. Schwartz, delivered an exceptional speech to a conference hosted by the Institute for Foreign Policy Analysis and the International Security Studies Program of the Fletcher School. What I liked about the speech is that Gen Schwartz made the case for why Airpower is important. Its “essentiality” to today’s fight and tomorrow’s deterrence has, in my view, not been appreciated by … well … almost everyone. You can find the speech at: http://www.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-100121-002.pdf



Secondly, a piece that appeared in the Omaha World-Herald by Gen (Ret) Mike Loh is very thoughtful … and had the added benefit of being concise. In it, he argued (among other things) that we need to get moving to field a new bomber within 10 years. Given Sec Gate’s statement this week that DOD plans a new bomber for the late 2020s, I’d ask you to contrast both views with and consider what this nation needs – in these difficult economic times. You can find a link to the piece on our website at: http://www.omaha.com/article/20091207/NEWS0802/712079997



Finally,

Just prior to the start of the Air Force-BYU football game, Sept. 22, 2009, this video was broadcast in the BYU stadium in Provo, Utah. Later, the USAF Academy Superintendent, Lt. Gen. Gould, showed this clip to the faculty and staff. He told everyone that BYU ran it minutes before the kickoff at the game. He was clearly moved by it, as were those who watched it.

I exchanged emails with General Gould … and he confirmed the accuracy of the above email. This weekend, where most of the nation will be focused on the Superbowl, it behooves all of us to remember …

You can find the YouTube link at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=72OhOWFMf84

1 comment:

WhiteCloud said...

There is an old Air Force general who attends senior lunch where I volunteer. He doesn't have much to say,but every now and then he gives me a little salute when he see's me with my AFA cap on. Today I was late I have have been ill and I put on my old NYFD hat instead, and on AOL they showed pictures of the World Trade Center of 9/11. I'm sure if the old general was in command he would of " Doolittled them just like those that 12/7 th'd US at Pearl !